Saturday, July 9, 2011

Oh Yes I Did

I love my bike. I love to ride my bike. I am a terrible bike rider.

If I lived in a place where biking was the main means of transportation, I would be happy. I love to feel the wind in my face, I love to be in nature, I even love working to get where I am going. I love everything about it. 

I have no grace when I am on my bike. I can't hop curbs on my bike. I fall. I can't turn sharp corners on my bike. I fall. I don't like riding next to anyone. I am afraid I'll fall. I only feel really confident when I am alone on a wide, flat area. I can't remember that scenario ever happening.

A couple months ago my kids bought a moped. I think I love the moped. I told my husband I was going to learn to drive it. He encouragingly responded, "Oh for the love of God, please stay off that thing!" With that kind of support, how could I stay away from it?

When he was at work, I heard the moped call to me. I took the key and sat on the moped. Emery saw me in the driveway and said, "MOM! You should definitely never ride that!" It was OK because I couldn't figure out how to start the thing. It is apparently dummy proofed. 

I figured out the trick to starting it, and the next day I grabbed the key to the moped and headed out the door. Just before I closed the door, I heard Makenna say, "Oh Dear!" My family believes in me. Feeling all warm and fuzzy, I sat on the moped. I started her up. I practiced going and stopping a bit in the driveway, and I liked it. With a huge smile, I took off into my street. I revved her up and flew like the wind. Four houses later, my heart seized up in panic as my speed had increased to a ludicrous 30 mph, and I squeezed on the brakes and stopped like nobody has ever stopped before. 

But then I took some deep breaths and eased back into a forward motion. I eventually reached a corner, and the panic of needing to turn almost did me in. I looked in every direction and was very assured that nobody was anywhere near me. So I breathed deeply and found the button for the turn signal. I signaled, looked both ways, and, oh yes, I turned. I didn't fall. After that nothing could stop me, and me and my moped conquered the streets of my neighborhood.

Today I am riding my moped to Target. 

So, basically, I'm a mopeder. I moped.

No comments:

Post a Comment