Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day Meltdown

I believe that parents should be able to subscribe to a service that alerts you to a crisis before you walk blindly into a potential meltdown. Unfortunately, this service has not yet been created.

It all started with a card lovingly and carefully crafted by my daughter, Emery. She hid it in the bathroom so I wouldn't see it before the proper time.

My husband, Mike, and I decided to run to the store. It seemed like a simple decision. What we didn't know was that while we were gone Emery's card got a little wet, which smeared the writing. Makenna, being the helpful older sister, tried to take care of the problem by tracing over the words. Emery thought that the tracing utterly ruined the card, so she ripped it into little pieces and threw it away.

Two seconds later, we returned home happy and unaware of the crisis unfolding in the kitchen. When we walked through the front door Mike noticed that everyone except Josiah was in the kitchen, so he called out, "Josiah, come to the kitchen. It's time to give Mom her cards."

To our astonishment, Emery instantly burst into full fledged weeping at this announcement, grabbed Mike's hand and pulled him out the back door. To keep me out of earshot, Makenna grabbed my hand and pulled me upstairs. When Josiah entered the kitchen ten seconds later, it was to a lone Drake who shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't know how to explain what just happened in here."

We did cards later. They were all lovely.

1 comment: