Monday, September 30, 2013

Voice Mail Woes

Drake told me that he was thinking about joining the wrestling team for school this year. As I was sitting in the carpool lane to pick him up from school, I thought it would be smart to call the school and find out when wrestling started. I called, and the front office transferred me to the head coach's voice mail.

Drake and his friends entered the car at the exact moment the beep to leave a message sounded in mygreet the kids after not seeing them all day voice I use when I see them.
ear. Somehow, the two experiences combined in my head, and I began talking into the phone in the

"Hey!" I said, overly friendly. "This is Sharla!" As if we were old friends instead of complete strangers. Rattled, I continued. "My son, Drake Hintz, who is a sophomore this year, is interested in Wendy."
"What?" Drake asked from the back seat.
"Who is Wendy?" his friends asked.
"I don't even know a Wendy!" Drake said.
"NO!" I shouted at the voice mail. "Not Wendy! Wrestling! He is interested in wrestling."
And then, fearing further action, I hung up.

"Well, Son," I said to his red-faced reflection in my rearview mirror, "I've done all I can do."

No comments:

Post a Comment