Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Old Man Mug

I set a challenge for myself awhile back. I wanted to learn to like coffee. I felt left out of the coffee hype, and I hate being left out.

For the last nine months I have had coffee every day. I vowed to only drink it black, so I never monkey around with it by adding cream or sugar. I still do not love it, but I do admit to a sense of satisfaction when I drink it. It is calming and comforting.

During this process, I have discovered some things:
1. Coffee gives you bad breath.
2. Coffee makes you crave a sweet dessert.
3. Brewing coffee makes the house smell comfortable.
4. When I make coffee, people start smiling.
5. Coffee is best when drank from an old man mug.

I had several mugs from my tea drinking days. However, when I made the switch to coffee, these mugs
just didn't satisfy me. I found myself reaching time and time again to a cheap mug I had purchased on a whim while at Dollar Tree. It felt right. I decided the reason the mugs felt right was that they were cheap and simple, like a group of old men might use while drinking their coffee black.

Thus began my obsession. I have been to nearly every Dollar Tree within reasonable driving distance in order to collect each old man mug Dollar Tree sells. I have five mugs now.

I think choosing the right mug might be the most important part of my coffee drinking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment