Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Nails

I have an entire drawer in my house brimming full of nail polish, cotton balls, polish remover, and files. This drawer gets used almost daily. Makenna has actually become quite a master at creating those tiny works of art worn to enhance the manicure. Emery is quickly perfecting the art and spends days performing each step so the end result is perfect.

Then, I happened to glance at Drake's thumb nail.  A deep gouge crossed it, and my stomach churned as  I envisioned what may have been the cause.  I thought that he might have bent it backwards.  Or he might have gotten it caught in one of the machines they use in his tech ed class at school or smashed it in a window.  I was sure it had to have hurt badly, and was surprised that he hadn't told me about it.

"Drake," I asked, dreading the answer, "what happened to your thumb nail?"
"What?" he looked at me blankly.
"Your thumb nail!" I gingerly grabbed his hand and winced at the gouge. "What happened?"
"Oh, that," he smiled. "A while ago I used a knife to saw a line across it, and I have been measuring it everyday to see how fast it grows."

Horrifying or brilliant? Still deciding.

No comments:

Post a Comment