Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Terrifying Traffic

Driving alongside semi trucks is a bit intimidating. I learned, today, that driving alongside semi trucks in a double turn lane is like asking for death.

Thankfully, my husband was driving. I react.

First of all, double turn lanes freak me out. There are cars beside you and cars coming toward you as you try to perfectly navigate the geometrical challenge. It is terrifying. In our case, though, there were semi trucks next to us and semi trucks coming at us as we attempted to defy death. The truck next to us needed much more room than his lane allowed, so he decided to find that extra space in the lane we happened to be in. He just came right on over smashing us into whatever they call that wide curb in the middle of the road that separates traffic moving in opposite directions.

I did what anyone would have done. I grabbed a fist full of skin from my husband's bicep and screamed, "THIS IS ALARMING!" I blame the next part on the adreneline coursing from my hair follicles to my toenails. I laughed. And I mean I belly laughed. I laughed so hard I couldn't speak and I could barely breathe.

"That huge semi is only mildly frightening compared to your scary reactions," my husband said.

That made me feel powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment