Wednesday, August 24, 2011

TV Time

When my kids were little I religiously gave them naps everyday after lunch. Except when I didn't feel like it. When it was sunny and warm outside, I had a hard time enforcing my own rules, and I have been known to play outside all afternoon and skip naps.

I knew I would pay for it later, but one day we just blew bubbles and caught crickets all afternoon long.

I knew the grumpiness would strike shortly after supper, so I planned on putting the kids to bed early. But I didn't do that either. Sometimes I work against myself.

In an astounding display of weakness and a complete breakdown in mother logic, I let them pick out a movie and stay up late watching it. Hoping to display a little common sense, I put them to bed immediately after the movie and informed them that they were not allowed to wake up before 8:00 the next morning.
"But how will I know what time it is in the morning?" Makenna asked.
"Look at the Sponge Bob clock that Drake got for Christmas."
"But what if I am awake and can't fall back asleep?"
"Then do something quiet, but don't turn on the TV or anything else that would wake up the other kids."
"Okay!"
Then I confirmed, "Does everybody understand that? No TV before 8:00!"
"Okay, Mommy!"

I went to bed that night feeling very satisfied that my children would be well rested and in cheerful moods due to the extra sleep I had ordered.

When I woke up to silence at 7:30 the next morning, I felt a wave of motherly pride wash over me. I felt satisfied that they had obeyed like dolls and would be well rested because of it. I rubbed my sleepy eyes and walked to the kitchen to start breakfast when I noticed all four kids, awake and still in their pajamas, sitting in silence on the couch surrounded by their stuffed animals. Drake held his Sponge Bob alarm clock on his lap and intently watched it as the time neared 8:00, the time he had set the alarm to ring. Josiah sat with the remote aimed at the TV, finger hovering above the on button. Four little faces gazed in anticipation at the blank TV screen. 


I vote that we return them to that age and use the freeze ray on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment