Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bass Drum Cockroach

My son continues to make all my dreams in life come true. I sincerely love him for sacrificing himself for my entertainment. He is a good boy.

Josiah is the dooer in our family. He volunteers. He signs up. He auditions. He competes. The other three children prefer to do less. Like nothing. I like the nothing route because it is mostly lazy, and I am pro lazy.

One of the things Josiah is doing right now is marching band. He is also doing football, which will become clunky at some point since the marching band does its marching thing during half time, but for now it works. I know there have to be other people out there who have marching band dreams, like I do. Not to be in the band. NO! But to witness the singular most entertaining marching band event to ever transpire. Every time I see those guys marching around wearing a drum the size of an airplane engine on their bellies, I just hold my breath in the anticipation that one of them will fall backwards and end up pinned to the earth, arms and legs flailing. Like a cockroach stuck on its back. It would be hilarious, right? Yes, it would be hilarious.

MY SON DID THAT!!!

Unfortunately, I was not around to see the event transpire. I was home doing mom stuff when he walked in the door and related the story to me.
"That is so awesome!" I shouted. Because my dream had come true.
"It wasn't awesome. I couldn't get back up."
"YES!! I wish I could have seen it."
"You're weird," he told me, needlessly.
"Are you okay?" I asked, because I am first and foremost a good mom. Sometimes.
"Yeah, but I have a huge bruise," he said, pointing to a black and blue patch the size of a grapefruit on his thigh.
"So worth it!" Sensitivity is not something I excel at. "Did everyone laugh?"
"Yes."
"You know I love you even though I think it is really funny, right?"
"I know," he rolled his eyes. "That is the kind of mom you are."

We understand each other.

1 comment:

  1. Tell him you and Mike will either invest in his future (college) or his past (counseling) but not both!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete