Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Suddenly Sunny

"When do we leave to take your parents and Makenna to the airport?" Mike asked me Sunday afternoon.
"In thirty minutes."
"Why is Makenna going but Emery isn't?"
"Because Emery had to go to color guard camp for school."
"Isn't that over now?"
"Yes, but when they planned their trip they thought they were leaving earlier."
"So why doesn't Emery go along now that the dates work out?"

Emery spent the next twenty-five minutes running around the house throwing swimsuits and T-shirts into a small duffle bag. We arrived at the airport just in time and said a quick goodbye to the travelers. As I was scrounging for money to pay the parking attendant in order to leave the airport, my phone rang.

"Hello," I said, balancing the phone on my shoulder while collecting coins from my glove compartment.
"Why aren't you going to Florida too?" Makenna asked.
"What? When? What do you mean?"
"Emery and I are both going now. Why aren't you?"

Instead of exiting the airport parking lot, I transferred the car to long term parking while my mom bought my plane ticket and Mike rushed home to pack an assortment of my summer things and dash them back to the airport. Forty minutes later, still dressed for church and wondering what I had in my suitcase, I was on a plane headed for Florida.

I grew richer in relationships by giggling with my girls, playing games with my family, and jumping waves with my nieces. The call of the earth resonated inside of me and refreshed the depths of my spirit.

I accompanied my niece, Macy, to the calm ocean cove where fish were plentiful. I sat in the sun while she practically turned into a mermaid.
"Aunt Sharla," she said from behind her square mask, "do you want a turn?"
"No, I don't like snorkeling. All the fish freak me out."
"Aunt, Sharla," she asked twenty minutes later, "it's pretty awesome. Do you want a turn yet?"
"Nope," I assured her I was super content to breath in the salty air and play in the waves.
"Aunt Sharla," she said another twenty minutes later, "it's amazing. Do you want a turn?"
"Okay."

I put on her square mask and timidly braved the scary schools below the surface.

"Oh my word, this is amazing!" I shouted at her twenty minutes later. "I love snorkeling!"
"I knew it," she nodded.

Life turns on a dime.


No comments:

Post a Comment