Friday, June 27, 2014

Aloha

"Hey," Mike said to me a hundred years ago on our second anniversary, "I got one of those credit cards that gives you flying miles. I think we should use it all the time and save the miles to take a really incredible trip together someday."

"Hey," Mike said to me slightly less than a hundred years ago, "now that we have a baby we should save up our miles and take her on an incredible trip before she graduates."

"Hey," Mike said to me at roughly the same time, "now that we have four kids we should use our credit card a whole lot more and save up as many miles as possible and hope to take an incredible trip with the whole family before they all graduate."

Over a year ago we realized our dream was coming true. By the time Makenna graduated we would have enough miles to take the whole family to Hawaii. We got on the computer and reserved a place to stay and told the butterflies in our stomach to settle down for a year. But life is hard, things go wrong, and times are tough. A few months ago we gave our bank account a stare down and it won. We could not afford our dream trip. We knew we would lose our deposit, but we counted our blessings and told the kids the trip was off.

"I'm calling the rental company in Hawaii," Mike told me with the phone pressed to his ear. "They sent me an email last month asking for a check, but I never sent one since we decided not to go. Then today I got an email saying our reservation is secure and they are expecting us. You didn't send a check did you?"
"No," I answered.
"Oh, hello," Mike said suddenly into the phone. "I gave up my reservation but got an email saying it
was still secure. It shouldn't be because I never sent a check."
"I can see here that your credit card was billed for the remaining balance," Hawaii lady said.
"No, that isn't possible," Mike told her. "The email specifically said not to use a credit card but to send a check. It said our reservation would be lost if a check was not received."
"Actually sir, the email states that a check is preferred and we would rather not use a credit card. However, since your credit card was used for the deposit, we charged it when a check was not received."
"I paid the deposit over a year ago!" Mike said, sweat beading on his forehead. "I didn't know you still had the card on file!"
"If you read the email again, I think you will see that it is clear."
"I'm reading it right now and I… oh," Mike said, deflated. "Okay, I see what you are saying. I just didn't read it that way. Can I just get refunded?"
"I'm sorry sir, but the payment is non refundable. I believe that is stated clearly in the email as well."
"Yes, but…"
"Sir? Are you still there?"
"Well…, …, …, aloha."

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment