Monday, June 23, 2014

Lunchbox

"How long has your dog been missing?" the sheriff asked Makenna over the phone.
"Two days," she answered, teary eyed.
"I'll call if he shows up."
"Thank you."

"I've called the sheriff in Norwalk, Cumming, and Indianola," Makenna told me after hanging up.
"And Dad drove around calling his name for an hour last night," I said.
"If he knows he gets to go for a ride in the car, he will come running from miles away."
"I know. Let's drive around some more."
"Did you call the groomer?" Makenna asked.
"They usually call me whenever he shows up there. But I'll give them a call just incase."

"Hello," I said when the groomer picked up the phone. "You haven't happened to see Arrow have you?"
"He was here about ten minutes ago."
"He was?" I shouted.
"Yeah, we call him Lunchbox because he usually shows up around lunchtime and leaves after he eats."

Makenna and I bolted into her small pick up and drove to the groomer, behind the groomer, around the groomer with our windows down, shouting for Arrow. We offered him rides and treats. But he did not show up. We returned home deflated and sad.

As I was making supper I heard a bark. When I turned around, I saw a naughty husky, tail wagging, asking to come inside. I ran to the door and didn't even care that I coated the doorknob with sticky pizza dough - Arrow was back!

We hugged him and kissed him and told him he was terribly frustrating. We were mad and happy: we were mappy.

We sure do love our Lunchbox. 

No comments:

Post a Comment