Thursday, December 5, 2013

Oh Drake

I actually saved the printed orchestra calendar that came in the mail way back when the temperature was acceptable. And then, having learned from past December chaos, I actually planned ahead, texted the time and location to all grandparents, and told Mike to be home by 6 so we could eat dinner and be at Drake's 7:30 concert. I was cool and collected. Everything was on schedule.

And then my phone rang.

"Mom?" Drake's voice said.
"Yes? Do you need something?" I asked calmly because my schedule was running perfectly, and I had plenty of time to cook dinner and make it to the concert without breaking a sweat.
"Yeah, I forgot to tell you - my concert is at 5."
"5:00?" I shouted.
"Yes."
"5:00 tonight?" I wailed.
"Yes."
"It's 4:15 right now! And we live 20 minutes away!"
"Yeah, that's why I'm calling you now," the always unshakable Drake said in his perpetually calm
voice.
"But, the entire family is planning on showing up at 7:30. The calendar from the school says it is at 7:30."
"I guess it changed."
"Okay," I said out of breath from changing clothes with one hand. "I'll leave as soon as I get supper in the oven, and I'll call everyone on the way."
"Oh, and Mom?"
"Yes?" I huffed.
"I forgot my white dress shirt, and I need it by 4:30. Can you bring it?"
"WHAT?"
"I really need it. Sorry. I didn't know it wasn't in my bag."
"Do you even have a white dress shirt?"
"I don't know. I usually just shove all my dress clothes on the top shelf of my closest. You can look there."

And that is why my son wore a white dress shirt to his concert that was a wrinkled mess everywhere except the very front where I ironed it in 30 seconds while also applying make up. And we ate chips for supper at 9 PM.



No comments:

Post a Comment