Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Coon Dog

Arrow howling at a tree
My dog has never been trained in the art of hunting. I've read Where The Red Fern Grows, and I know how much patience is required to teach a dog such skills. I do not have patience.

So, I was confused when I heard my dog howling while I was making breakfast. Glancing out the window, I saw that he was safe and fine sitting under a tree. But the howling was relentless. Then he began barking and running in circles. I called him inside, but he was not to be moved. Finally, I walked to him and noticed by the torn up grass under the tree that he had been involved in the act of running in circles for many hours.
Why Arrow was howling at the tree

Not familiar with the ways of the wild, it took me a mighty long time to figure out what was going on. Then, in a flash, all that I had learned from Where The Red Fern Grows came back to me - not just the part that made me cry for days. But I remembered the part where the dogs hunted. I looked up into the tree. And there it was - a raccoon. A very large, very frightened raccoon.

My dog could not have been more proud.

And, honestly, I was just a little bit proud also.

Until the next night when he trapped thee raccoons on the neighbors porch at 3 AM and woke their family up with his ferocious barking.

Not proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment