Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Nature Invasion

I love living in the country. It is peaceful. Nature surrounds us. Nature invades us. That part I don't like.

The kids were in bed, a gentle breeze was blowing in the open windows, the sounds of frogs, and crickets floated through the air. It was utterly peaceful. I seized the moment. I grabbed a book, opened all the windows in my bedroom, and climbed under the cozy blankets to read. Nobody knows how to party like I do.

I quietly read for at least ten minutes, hardly daring to believe I was lucky enough to participate in a leisure activity, when I heard the rattling of the screen door that leads from my bedroom to my back deck. I thought it was the wind, and did not tear my eyes away from the words I was devouring in the book I was reading. But the rattling continued. I chose to glance toward the door, more out of instinct that actual decision, just in time to see a black MOUSE ENTER MY BEDROOM! It squeezed under the screen door, scampered across the carpet, and caused my heart to pound like a jackhammer. I flung books, pillows, and blankets in all directions as I attempted to climb the wall and take refuge on the ceiling. This, along with blood curdling screams, induced the mouse to turn right back around and exit my room by the same route he had entered it.

So, now I know that screaming and throwing things is an effective weapon against mice.

And I think I need a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment