Monday, September 10, 2012

Disaster Muffins

Some weekends are gentle and leave you feeling relaxed and refreshed. Mine wasn't. It came in like a lion and devoured me. But that is another blog for another time. The point is that I was tired. More like exhausted. So, at 10:00 Saturday night I should have gone to bed, but I had to make muffins for Jesus.

My church is pretty awesome. It is full of great people that I really like, we do a lot of fun stuff, and it meets in a movie theater so sometimes I get popcorn, and that is about all I need to make me happy. Because football season is upon us, and because my church is pretty great, before church this Sunday we had a tailgating party. We all met in the parking lot, brought breakfast food, and celebrated great weather and football before church. Which is why I was making muffins at 10:00 the night before.

I am not what you would call a baker. I don't bake. But, I decided muffins were pretty safe, and to make them extra special, I added some of the delicious Michigan blueberries my mom gets for me every year. They are bigger and juicier and sweeter than any blueberries you can imagine. I added them with a smile just imagining all the church folk devouring the muffins and pounding down my door for the recipe. I would say, "Well, first you have to go to Michigan and pick the blueberries."

I'm not sure what happened. There really is no explanation. They were a disaster. They never got puffy on the top, and they needed to bake much longer than the recipe called for. When I tried to take them out of the muffin tin, they exploded.


Due to the large amounts of hysterics, my husband sensed something in the kitchen was amiss. He entered the kitchen, sized up the situation, told me to go watch TV, and totally redeemed the situation. He, the muscular construction guy, made beautiful muffins.

I'm not a baker.

No comments:

Post a Comment