Monday, April 18, 2011

Grandpa

My grandpa is 91 years old. That is old. By now I believe the man has earned the right to do pretty much anything he wants to. He also believes this. And that is what he is doing.

My grandma died a short time ago, and it was terribly sad. She was a wonderful woman and couldn't have been more loved by her family. We miss her all the time.

My grandpa, who has lived with my grandma in the same house for over 40 years, decided to move the day after my grandma's funeral. He wanted to move into a retirement community. He said one person in such a large house seemed a waste, and, once his decision was made, he wanted to move quickly. I think the real reason was because he heard that once you move into a room you get food everyday. He doesn't care for cooking.

One of the first events he attended was a group birthday party where cake is served and all the birthdays for the month are celebrated together. The activities director was wrapping the event up at the end by going over a few announcements in a microphone in the front of the room. After he mentioned a few things, he asked if he had forgotten anything and if anyone had anything to add.

My grandpa stood up. My grandpa who has ever been short on words stood up. My grandpa who had only lived in this building four days and did not know anybody stood up. My grandpa who has never even once done any kind of public speaking stood up and walked to the microphone.

"Sometimes," he cleared his throat, "sometimes when I hear my own voice in a microphone, I get embarrassed. Fortunately my song is very short." And then he sang a song.

As far as I know Grandpa has never been involved in any kind of singing group, church choir, ensemble, or music venue of any kind. But, he wanted to sing, so he sang a song. A battle hymn. Why? Nobody knows. Was it time to sing? No. Does he sing well? No. He sang because he is 91, and when you're 91 you should pretty much do what you want.

1 comment:

  1. No matter how many times I read this/ hear the story, I break out into full laughter. There are no words...

    ReplyDelete