Saturday, April 23, 2011

Baby Waterfall

Pregnancy hit me like a waterfall - it just kept coming. After five years of babyless marriage, the day we found out a little one was on the way was joyous and delightful. When that baby was three months old and we found out a second little one was on the way and had the exact same due date as the first one, February 4, we were shocked but happy. When the second baby was three months old and we discovered a third little one was on the way due February 4, our eyes glazed over and we did a little howling. I blame that on the fact that we hadn't slept in two years. Howling can happen due to lack of sleep.

After feeling horribly betrayed by modern medicine, we accepted the fact that we were going to be parents of three babies under the age of two and moved forward. We bought everything in triplicate. The baby was born and was perfect. Nine days after his birth, our oldest baby turned two. Four days after that, our second baby turned one. We took shifts sleeping and tried to talk coherently. We failed.

Because we were smart, we moved to a new city where I didn't know anybody and moved into an apartment on the third floor. My husband took our only car everyday to work, so I was friendless, carless, and stuck in an apartment with three babies for days on end. This is how they should test the mental stamina of astronauts before sending them to the space station.

Then the best thing in the world happened. I made a friend and we moved next door to her and her husband. I rediscovered adult language. I changed out of my pajamas and started brushing my teeth before noon. And since things were going so good, we decided to have a fourth baby.

People thought I was crazy or uncontrollable or uninformed. I agreed with them. I never really pictured myself as a baby person. I didn't even babysit that much in high-school. But babies are such a good idea. Who else loves you every minute of every day? Who else looks at you with complete trust in their eyes? Who else makes you feel like Queen of the Universe just because you made Macaroni and Cheese? Who else can pull off the scent of soap mixed with Play Doh?

Being a mom made me grow up fast. It made me a deeper person. It forced me to be patient when I wanted to stomp my foot and scream. It forced me to forget about myself and think of others. It made Christmas exciting and it made the Tooth Fairy real. It made bedtime special. So special.




Basically, it made life worth it.

2 comments:

  1. LOOK AT YOU GO! I am so excited to have found your little corner of the blogosphere! L.O.V.E. your posts! :]
    love you! xo debby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Love Love this post. So glad I you moved, even for a few years so I could meet you and your family.

    ReplyDelete