Wednesday, October 1, 2014

I Owe Someone Food

My dog is all kinds of naughty. And his blue eyes mesmerize us into letting him get by with most of it. I know, though, that he is a bit scary. He looks large and powerful. When people see him, they think he might be a wolf. Then they think he might eat them. They don't know that he lets babies pull his fur and poke him in the eye or that he runs terrified at the bark of tiny dogs. In fact, he ran away from a min pin so fast one time that he sprained his ankle. So, we've been keeping him chained up lately. There is a lot of construction going on near our house, and we don't want him to frighten the workers. Also, we don't want him to return home with cement plastered all over his paws and legs. Again.


He wants to run though, so he sneaks out any chance he finds. Which he did recently when we had a house full of door-leaving-open teenagers. I noticed him in our front yard a few hours later, and I was happy to see that he was mostly free of cement, but felt concerned when I saw that he was guarding something. I walked toward him and he picked up his treasure in his mouth and pranced proudly toward me. As he walked toward me across the yard, he pranced prouder and prouder. Wondering what he may have killed and worried that it might be a cute bunny, I didn't want to look at what he laid at my feet. Until I saw what it was.

A peeled orange in a ziplock baggie.

I'm sure that whatever construction worker he took it from was terrified. And hungry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment