Monday, January 6, 2014

Negative Too Much

When my husband and I were newlyweds, we moved to Alaska for a short while. It was stunning. It was adventure right out the front door. It was rugged and wild.

While we were there we kept hearing about a place called Barrow, the northernmost city in Alaska. People live there. It is a place of harsh conditions. If you look it up, you will see that the temperature is below freezing from early October to late May, and snow may fall any day of the year. The sun sets in mid November and rises at the end of January, which is called polar night. A jar of mayonnaise is $8.99, and a bag of charcoal is $25.15. If you want to drink some V8 Splash, that will cost you $10.65.


I keep Barrow, Alaska on my weather app on my phone, and I look at it when I feel like complaining. When there was a cold snap in May, I noticed that Barrow's high of the day was 27 degrees. When it rained several days in a row last October, I noticed Barrow had ice fog, which I had to look up, but happens when ice crystals become suspended in the air.

So when the temperature in Iowa reached negative too much, I decided to make myself feel better by checking in on Barrow. It is currently negative six there. When it is warmer in Barrow than it is in Des Moines, I am not happy.

I am holding my own personal protest by clothing myself in a sweatsuit from which I will not change until the temperature decides to be reasonable.

Now I feel better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment