Monday, January 20, 2014

Date Night

Mike and I decided to have a date night, but, because we had to pick up many kids and provide them with nourishment at 9 PM, our date had to happen at 4. Although we weren't hungry, we dressed nicer than we had in ages, headed to a fancy restaurant and ordered a huge meal that we ended up taking home in styrofoam containers.

We began talking about what movie we wanted to see after lunch supper we ate, but, instead, we ended up talking about the light fixtures that we needed to replace in our house. We decided to skip the movie and head over to the home improvement store.

We looked and gazed and debated and, finally, picked two fixtures we both liked.

"Can you help us?" Mike asked the nearest Lowe's employee while pointing to the display on the ceiling. "We want two different light fixtures, but we can't find them in a box. We've looked everywhere, but can't locate them."
"I see what you are saying," the Lowe's guy said after searching for half an hour. "They aren't where they should be, but the computer says we have plenty of each of them. I'm going to have to call my manager to help."

"Um, Mike?" I whispered while the manager searched high and low, "I don't think I like the bigger light any more. The more I've stood here looking at it, the more I don't like it."
"Really?"
"It wouldn't look good with the smaller light, which I like better."
"Yes, I see what you mean."

"Ah ha!" the manager shouted, "I've found it!" And he proudly handed us the bigger light that we no longer liked. We smiled nervously and nodded. Then he told us, "Our other location has the other light if you want to go there." So we slowly walked toward the cash register until the manager disappeared into the plumbing aisle, quickly stashed the unwanted and highly sought after light fixture into a nearby wheelbarrow, and bolted for the door.

"Can you help us," Mike asked the Lowe's employee at the location across town. "The manager at the other store told us you had this light," he said pointing at the display on the ceiling, "but we can't find it. Believe me, we've searched."
"I see what you are saying, "the Lowe's guy said, "I'll have to call my manger over to help."

"Um, Mike?" I whispered while the manager searched high and low. "I don't like that light any more."
"I hate it too" he nodded. "Let's run."

"Ah ha!" the manger shouted, proudly handing us the no longer wanted light fixture.

So we picked up a load of hungry kids after a romantic evening of eating at 4, not watching a movie, wasting three hours picking out lights we didn't like, and stashing two fixtures into wheelbarrows across town from each other.

The romance is strong with us.



No comments:

Post a Comment