Monday, August 12, 2013

100 Shades of Green

Mike and I looked at each other across the kitchen about 5:00 PM last Saturday night and realized something. We were alone. All the kids had returned from work, showered, shoveled food into their mouths, and, in a flurry of flying outfit changes, left the house to meet up with their friends.

We seized the moment to have an impromptu date. Since the weather was gorgeous, we decided to see the Iowa countryside atop the Harley Davidson. And I have to say that some cosmic event planner deserves a standing ovation because we happened upon Winterset on bike night. We poured into town with hundreds of other motorcycles and parked in the Harley section like that was what we intended all along.

We were told the Northside Diner was the place to eat, but when I entered a very average looking diner, my expectations plummeted. At the first bite of fried cheese curd, the restaurant totally redeemed itself. I ordered an avocado sandwich, and my mouth felt like it had won the lottery.

Then we strolled around Winterset enjoying the biker crowd and the small town feel. I bought a Harley Davidson t-shirt, and then Mike suggested we ride the motorcycle along the country roads before the sun set. I think he feared a shopping spree.


There aren't many things that can compare with the colors that Iowa produces in the summertime. I think I saw a hundred shades of green that night. When I'm surrounded by tree farms, corn fields, ponds, and prairies, I like to breath as much as I can. I breathe deep and often, and it feels as if my lungs are throwing a party.

We returned home to piles of laundry, dirty dishes in the sink, and about a hundred text messages from the kids asking if their friends could spend the night, could we pick them up and supply them with pizza.

And it struck me. Right now is the good 'ol days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment