Monday, July 1, 2013

Nature Channel Living

I'm not a cat person. Never have been. Which is why I cannot explain the collection of kittens I now have.

I had a cat named Fred when I was in college. Even though I had never loved cats, I loved him because he could fly through the air and land in my face as I opened the front door. That's cool. 
After Fred, I said goodbye to cats. I had had one cat, which was much more than I had ever wanted.

Recently, though, some mice came into my house. Cats are better than mice, so we decided to get a kitten. What took me by surprise, though, was how utterly adorable kittens are. They can jump straight into the air from a sitting position all because of a tiny noise. And when they want to be scary, they fluff their tail, stomp their itty bitty paws, and make a hissing noise. They think they are fierce, but they are just really hilarious.

So I took two. And then I took another one. Then another.

Yes, I have four kittens.

Please stop me.

And then my son said something terrifying, "Mom, don't freak out." When you tell a person not to freak out, that pretty much guarantees that they will freak out. And then something astounding happened. Josiah tiptoed to the garage, grabbed a kitten, and put it in my living room. Then, that small, adorable kitty moved faster than my eyes could really keep up with. It did something that looked a lot like ninja wrestling a horrible rodent until that rodent was gone.


In my living room. Where I do my living. Not my naturing.

Then that fluffy kitty began to play with a towel in an adorable fashion that would make you think she had not just swallowed a mouse.

I stood transfixed, torn between total disgust and amazed wonder. I can't decide if she is more disgusting creature or brave champion.

But I have four of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment