Monday, April 9, 2012

Mean Girls

My son spent his spring break away from us. We gave him the choice of hanging out with his parents and siblings on an exciting adventure to visit Great Grandma and Great Grandpa or taking a lame trip with his boring old band friends to Orlando to march at Disneyworld in a parade and then visit the stupid theme park followed by swimming in the drab old ocean. He didn't choose us.

When he returned we all got excited and wanted to hear all about it. His blistered and peeling face told a sunny story of its own as he stirred up our jealously with tales of ocean waves and Harry Potter roller coasters.

"What was your best experience and your worst experience?" I asked, expecting the ocean to be his best experience (because once that boy enters the water it takes a pry bar to get him out) and the bus ride to be his worst experience. Because bus rides always are. He did not fail to surprise me.

"My best experience was a text I got from a friend. I sat by him on the bus, but I had never really talked to him before. We got along fine, and after about twenty hours he texted me even though he was sitting right beside me. I'll let you read it," he said as he pulled out his phone and scrolled through his text messages.

HIM:  I know you don't know me that well, but I have Asperger's Syndrome. Basically it is just a disorder that makes me awkward in social situations. You probably noticed something was weird. Thats just how I am. Anyway, will you be my friend? I know it is awkward to ask that, but will you?
ME:  Sure thing
HIM: Really? 
ME: No problem, bro. Its all good.


"What was your worst experience," I asked, proud as a peacock.
"When we had to watch the movie Mean Girls."
"That is a good movie," I told him.
"Well," he explained, "we got to choose a movie and there were a lot of good choices, but then some girls in the back of the bus just put in Mean Girls so we ended up watching it."
"What is the movie about," Drake asked.
"It was about the girls in the back of the bus," Josiah answered.







No comments:

Post a Comment