Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pajama Shoes

Life gets crazy with four kids. And two injured dogs. And a new house in need of a remodel. So I am not to be blamed for my actions.

My son has been mysteriously and alarmingly sick. This is a kid who mowed four yards in 100 degree weather and asked to take a nap in the bed of the pick-up over lunch because his throat was "weird." He had strep throat and a temp of 103. So when he says he feels sick, we panic. So I drove him to the doctor and they grabbed a sample of any form of liquid his body contains, did x-rays and an ultrasound. With assurances that the doctor would be in touch, I drove him to the last half of his day at school. As he hopped out of the car he spun around and said, "By the way, I don't know what time, but I have a band concert tonight." And with that he slammed the door and was off.

So I hurried home, sanded and painted five doors, installed some towel bars, took a shower with my injured dog so that I could pour hydrogen peroxide on her wounds, picked all the kids up, shoveled food into their bellies, sent Mike with Emery to her concert, tied Josiah's tie and sped off to his concert.

Josiah was dressed perfectly, for once. He usually is missing a bow tie or wearing white socks or something else I don't notice until I am sitting in the audience saying, "Yeah, my son is the one who doesn't look like all the other correctly dressed kids up there." But as he told me, "It's not that I forgot to wear my tie, it is just that everyone else accidentally wore theirs."

Also, how did I give birth to Thor?

My relief at Josiah wearing his complete uniform was short-lived because I soon noticed something terrible. But the problem wasn't him. It was me. I was still wearing my slippers. Slippers aren't shoes. They are fuzzy. They are pajama shoes. You don't wear them in public. At your kid's concert. Among his peers.

Unless you are me. Then you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment