Thursday, February 23, 2012

How Bout Them Cubs?

I'm cold. I don't like being cold. I admit, this winter has been mild for those of us who regularly endure weather straight from the ice age, but I am still cold.

Which is why I did what I did. I had twenty free seconds the other day, and decided to put an end to all the coldness. I walked into TJ Maxx and bought the biggest, warmest sweatshirt I saw. Since I only had twenty seconds to look around, it also happened to be the first sweatshirt I saw. It was thick and soft. That was enough, so I bought it. As I stood in line I noticed it was a men's large, but it didn't really matter because I only planned on wearing the thing at home in my own privacy. There was a large C and the word "Cubs" in the middle. I am not opposed to the Cubs, so I walked away from the store happy.

When I put it on and felt its warmy goodness, I immediately warned my family to get used to seeing it because I loved it more than ice cream. In fact, I warned them that I might wear it straight through to spring. Which is how I ended up wearing it in all sorts of public. Like running to the store, going through the drive through, shopping at the hardware store, and attending conferences. I haven't worn it to church. But I might.

The thing that happens, though, when you wear a sweatshirt that advertises a team on the front, is that fans of that team approach you and randomly being talking in code. They say things like, "Been a fan since '72." Or, "Next year is our year."

I put on my clothes very early in the morning, and I usually don't think about them again. So, I have regularly spent the entire day shouting, "GO CUBS," to the world while I have, in fact, forgotten that I am wearing such a statement on my sweatshirt. Not being a sports connoisseur, when people I don't recognize approach me and say such things, I assume they are spies and want to pick up some stolen package from me. I feel as if I should respond with something like, "The fat man walks alone," or, "The eagle has landed." Not being a spy though, nothing comes to mind. So I just stare at them. This usually ends the conversation.

In retrospect, I believe I should have researched the team before wearing it out in the sight of people. Then I might catch on to their lingo.

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment