Thursday, January 19, 2012

Burned Microwave For Supper

While making supper, my daughter burned something. The microwave. Literally.

She was trying to be helpful, bless her heart. Things have been a bit crazy and chaotic, so she wanted to help with supper. I really don't know what she was trying to make, but she got her Rachel Ray on and poured a bit of olive oil into a pan and set it on the stove to get warm. Then she diced some tomatoes and garlic. Then the problem occurred. She dropped the tomatoes into the hot olive oil. Instant fire erupted. 

At Makenna's scream of horror, I spun to see tall and mighty flames covering the stove top and engulfing the over-the-range microwave.

Panic ensued and we all did different things to put the fire out. Makenna screamed and danced at the fire, as if trying to scare it out of existence. Emery and my mom became hypnotized and gazed at the fire in a daze. I grabbed a pitcher but knew better than to pour water onto a grease fire, so I just ran at the fire with my empty pitcher. Seriously, I know you should throw flour on a grease fire, but when a raging fire is consuming your kitchen it really doesn't seem like a good time to drag the flour down from the top shelf of the pantry. I think the four will have a new home in our house from now on. I think it will live wherever Makenna happens to be. And I am also considering purchasing the world's largest fire extinguisher I can find on e-bay later today.

We got the fire out in spite of ourselves. Makenna refuses to cook ever again. Bless her heart.  

1 comment:

  1. Poor thing! My Katie set the microwave on fire accidentally when I told her she could use a cup from the microwave to make tea, of course she chose the one metal cup in there.....she didn't use it for about six months after that!

    ReplyDelete