Monday, October 31, 2011

Health

Health is in. It's the thing to do. I see people jogging even when the temperature plummets to below freezing. My gym is always crowded. Half the commercials I hear on the radio are about diets. Even I, a long time hater, recently succumbed to the lure of jogging. Then I broke my ankle. Now I suffer.

I was recently given a pamphlet that listed symptoms of living in health. I admit that I scoffed a little as it was given to me. I know the symptoms: Not suffering from frequent heart attacks, eating oatmeal, saying no to candy, missing out on all joy, looking mad. See - I am clearly an expert.

So, I was a little surprised when I read the list:

frequent, overwhelming episodes of love
frequent attacks of praise
feelings of gratitude for life and the people in your life
seeing people as companions, not as competitors
contented feelings of connectedness with your family
playful and joy-filled attitudes
being awake to life
enjoying the moment
loss of the need to be right all the time
loss of need to worry
loss of interest in arguing
loss of interest in being critical

According to these standards, I have a lot to learn from my dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment