Saturday, June 11, 2011

Flowers Aren't Treats

If I said to you that I love to garden, I would be lying my face off. I'm sorry to say that I really hate digging holes, pulling weeds, covering myself with dirt, and feeling itchy. I know some people love it, but I think they must be more evolved than I am.

The weeding is what really bothers me. You pull thousands of weeds and three measly days later, they have the audacity to grow back. It is a contest between me and them. They wear me down. I hate losing to a plant.

But, I have a new deck in my back yard, and I have high hopes and dreams that my back yard will be pretty this year. I have resolved to plant flowers. My mom took me to some of her favorite flower purchaing spots, and we had a lovely day.

When I carried my flowers home, I tackled the job of getting them into the ground immediately so as to BE DONE WITH IT. I grabbed my potting soil and trowl and got to work.

It was a hot day. Not a warm day, a hot day. The sun's sole focus seemed to be my back, and I was blasted with UV rays that caused sweat to run out of me like a river. I got dirt under my nails, in my hair, smeared across my sweaty face, and in my pants. Don't ask.

After hours of digging, trowling, loosening, planting, patting, and watering, I finally rewarded myself with the most appreciated shower I have known. The refreshing water removed the itchy, dirty feeling, and I was able to smile again. I returned from the shower with a peaceful heart, and my kids dared to speak to me again.

Then I saw this...

That fresh soil scent had enticed my puppy to go a diggin'. As I turned in a slow circle, I saw dirt and broken plants everywhere. And one very dirty dog.

I love my puppy. But, love sometimes includes a small element of hysterical shouting and throwing oneself to the ground while moaning. I admit it - I may have gone a little nuts. The neighbors may have noticed. All the while the dog just looked at me with his cute puppy eyes, tail awaggin'. He thought we were playing some great new game.

He wears me down. I hate losing to a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment