Saturday, June 25, 2011

Camping

The word camping shouldn't really be anywhere near the word vacation, in my opinion. A vacation is relaxing and fun. Camping is an exhausting, dirty, bug infested experience where we pretend to be pioneers. We do everything we have to do at home, but in the hardest way possible.

But, I am outvoted. I have a husband who loves camping, which I will never understand no matter how many times he attempts to explain it to me, and kids who also love to camp. That's the thing about having a large family - you are often the only one voting sensibly.

So, several years ago we took a camping trip to northern Minnesota near Canada. We went to a place called The Boundary Waters. No motorized boats are allowed on the water, so we loaded up canoes and rowed across the crystal clear water to a small island. By the time the canoe touched land, my arms resembled wet spaghetti noodles due to prior lack of moving in EXCESSIVE, MONOTONOUS ROWING MOTIONS. I couldn't have been happier to be on land.

Until I was informed that we needed to carry all of our camping supplies AND THE CANOES across this small island to the next lake and continue rowing. Continue rowing. After carrying all of our stuff. Why can't we just camp here seemed a reasonable question to me, but I was informed that it would not do to camp on the first island because all the good fishing and isolation was further ahead. But, I do not like fishing. Or isolation. But, again, I was outvoted.

The worst part about carrying all of your supplies is that your hands are occupied, leaving your body as an uncontested prize for the mosquitoes. And they love that.

We repeated this torturous exercise of rowing, carrying, rowing, carrying until we finally reached a campsite deemed worthy of us. We pushed our canoes onto the land, unloaded, and then, instead of resting from all that work, we had to set up camp. And, after that feat was managed, we had to prepare and serve a meal in the manner used more than 100 years ago. Camping is like going back in time with only the parts that include a lot of work and none of the good stuff.

But, I do have to admit, the peaceful, beautiful atmosphere was astounding. And the uninterrupted time with the family was precious. The conversations were meaningful, and the smores were exceptional. I'm not going to say I'd like to go back, but I do miss the moments around the campfire.

This trip revealed something different about each child. We discovered that Makenna can survive almost anywhere. She evaluates her environment, conquers her surroundings, and then thrives. Josiah is happy and carefree whether covered with tics or swimming naked in a lake. Nothing gets that guy down. Drake is stinking hilarious and makes us laugh constantly. Emery is excited and precious. She brings an innocence and sweetness to every activity. Oh, and she can bring the fury. For real.

A better mom than me would have stopped filming and comforted her child during an episode such as the one I am about to show you. But, I never claimed to be a better mom. I do, however, recognize something worthy of being on film when I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment