Monday, February 17, 2014

Hated Valentines

It's hard to squeeze a sweet Valentines Date into the parenting of four teenagers. But we made a valiant effort. I prepared food for the kids to scarf down, hopefully without too much damage to the kitchen. I showered and applied make-up and was actually ready by the time my dear husband was to be done working.

But it snowed. Which meant Mike had to plow. Which meant he was late getting home.

"Should we leave?" he asked, still in his work clothes.
"Well, we missed our reservations, so we will have a hard time finding a restaurant that doesn't have a huge wait."
"We could go to the movie first," he suggested.
"The movie is apparently horrible," I said quietly, hating to impart more bad news.
"How do you know?"
"The reviews are the lowest I've ever seen, and my friends who saw it told me they hated it."

We both looked at each other with frustration and dread. It was obvious we were both thinking we should just give up and stay home. The universe had spoken.

"I don't think we should give in, dang it," Mike stated. "It's Valentine's Day, and we are going to celebrate love no matter what."
"Okay," I said encouraged.
"But what do you want to do?"
"Let's just go to the bad movie that we are going to hate," I said. "In fact, let's make that the theme of the date. Everything we do has to be something we hate."

So we went to the mall because it was crowded and we hate that. We walked in the cold from the very back of the parking lot which was terrible.

"Two of us," Mike told the hostess at the Cheesecake Factory, where they recently stopped serving the only kind of cheesecake I've ever liked.
"It will be at least forty-five minutes before a table is open," the hostess said with a frown.
"Great!" We said, "We hate waiting!"

We walked around the crowded mall and laughed as we kept getting separated from each other. We ordered food we thought we wouldn't like, and laughed when we actually loved it. And we watched the movie, which really was terrible.

Halfway through the movie Mike started sneezing and coughing. By the end of the movie he was shivering and sweating at the same time. He took the theme of the date and really went with it. He was asleep before I drove into the garage, and slept until lunch the next day.

What a Valentine I've got!


No comments:

Post a Comment