Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Wow Internet

"I didn't know my personal, private card that I gave you for our anniversary would end up on the internet," Mike said.
"Well, you'll have to be more of a jerk if you don't want stuff like that to happen."
"I already tried that. I still ended up on the internet."
"Good point. I guess it's your destiny."
"What other things that I do are going to show up on the internet?" he asked.
"Probably this," I told him as we steered our car through the maze of rural southern Illinois backroads. "How do we know this guy isn't some serial killer?"
"He seemed really nice on the phone," Mike confidently assured me.

Finally, around 11 PM, we found the remote location of the man Mike had located earlier that morning when he scoured Craigslist postings from the cities and towns along our route home from Nashville to Des Moines.

He wasn't a serial killer.

He was, in fact, super nice. He sold Mike the banjo of his dreams and spent the next hour showing Mike how to play. His surprisingly young wife and I made friendly chit chat, and I found her delightful. I was mesmerized by her horn rimmed glasses and bouffant hairdo. We all exchanged phone numbers and promised to keep in touch.

We left with an old banjo and some new friends.

Wow Internet. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment