Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's Day?

My husband is the world's most  excellent gift giver. For Mother's Day he transferred all of our old home videos to DVD and made a new video of the kids reminiscing about some of their favorite memories and inserted the corresponding video footage. It was thoughtful and time-consuming. It was sweet and meaningful. Oh, and he also gave me a trip to California with Mumford and Sons concert tickets. How can I compete with that?

Not brilliantly.

I searched the recesses of my brain for a great Father's Day gift idea for him, and, after hours of agonizing and fretting, I came up with an idea. I decided to do his to-do list. I decided to do one thing each day of the week prior to Father's Day.

On day one I cleaned the garage, which he always does because I do not want to.

On day two I returned the recycling, which he always does because it is gross.

Day three. Let's talk about day three.

Mowing is a big job around our house. We have seven acres of green, healthy grass. It grows
constantly. Mike always mows because it is sweaty. I decided to mow for him. I had to call Josiah twice just to figure out how to get the riding lawn mower to turn on. Josiah was very helpful, but he neglected to mention that our lawn mower was not a simple riding machine, but, instead, a tractor of fury.

The power of the tractor took me by surprise. Instead of easing into relaxing chore, I tore out of the shed like a tornado. I realized in a split second that, due to my lack of knowing what was going on, I would most certainly crash. Such knowledge is terrifying, and it sent me into a non-responsive panic. I'm not sure how, but I ended up going in reverse at a terrifying speed. I barreled into a couple trees, luckily avoided the garden, and was finally stopped with a loud crashing and screeching noise, which ended up being the go-kart.

Happy Father's Day...?

I wonder how soon Mike can get around to fixing that go-kart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment