Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Dog Digs Dirt

Since chickengate, Arrow has had to be chained up. This comforts the neighbors but tortures my dog. And it tortures me because Arrow likes to dig. He digs like he is trying to get to China. This makes him a muddy mess and pretty much guarantees that I will accomplish almost nothing except to sweep up dirt.

One day it was wet and muddy, and I just couldn't deal with another muddy mess. So I made Arrow stay inside almost all day. He has too much energy to be inside all day. He ping-ponged around driving himself and me crazy.

I wrestled with him, chased him, threw a ball for him to catch, and I sweat more than I ever wanted to. Finally, he settled down, so I seized the opportunity to get some housework done.  

But what I thought was the glorious silence of a dog taking a nap, was actually the silence of a dog being very naughty. Because he found more dirt. It didn't matter to him that the dirt was in a pretty pot or helping to grow a pretty green plant. 

So Arrow got booted back outside for better or for worse. I feel guilty and he feels sad. Unless it snows. Then he feels deliriously happy. He plays with it, tries to eat the falling snow right out of the air, rolls in it, and naps in it like it is a comfy bed. It makes us all happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment